Ugghh! Don’t get me started on the ‘standard’ food pyramid that you’ve seen on cereal boxes and brochures in doctors’ offices. (To read my detailed critique of this industry-driven abomination, click here.)
Dr Joel Fuhrman has designed a food pyramid based on published what the scientific literature reveals about diet and health rather than on which food industry groups have the most clout with our government – now there’s a novel idea.
Here it is!
And here’s what I suggest you do with it: print it out and put it on your fridge. Once a week, review what you ate that day and compare it with this pyramid.
Here’s what I ate today:
- Fresh ‘whole fruit’ juice (made in my Thermomix) of orange, pear and apple with my daily dose of Vital Greens
- Fruit salad of banana, pear, orange, kiwifruit, apple and mandarin, topped with chia and ground linseed
- Salad of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red capsicum, red onion and a couple of Kalamata olives (yum!), topped with a dressing of red lentils blended with tahini, tomato paste, shallots and lemon juice
Snacks (after lunch and while making dinner)
- A small handful of Brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts, with a dried apricot, dried fig and handful of sultanas
- Scrumptious Seed Burgers with mashed potato, steamed broccoli, carrot and zucchini
- Guiltless Chocolate Pudding
- 1 slice of home-made wholemeal spelt, sultana and chia bread
It’s not so hard to shift your diet in the direction of these healthy guidelines. Just start with whatever step you can make today.
Visit my website for more info and great recipes.