A client asked me if I could prepare a shopping list of vegan staples. What a great idea (thanks Josh!).
Here are the foods I make sure I have in the fridge, freezer and pantry at all times:
- onions – brown for cooking, + Spanish for salads
- frozen peas and spinach
- frozen berries
- fresh garlic
- fresh ginger
- several varieties of dry legumes e.g. chick peas, kidney beans, lentils – good fruit and veg shops have these in money-saving 1 kg packs
- a few cans of legumes
- canned tomatoes (no added salt)
- tomato paste (no added salt)
- brown rice
- rolled oats (traditional, not quick oats)
- wholemeal spelt flour for baking
- several varieties of nuts (e.g. Brazils, almonds, cashews) and seeds (e.g. pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, linseed)
- a wide range of dried herbs and spices including oregano, basil, turmeric, cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, cardamom, dehydrated onion flakes
- cacao and carob powder
- and of course, a wide variety of seasonal fresh fruit and vegetables, which form the centrepiece of every meal in our household.
What about you? What healthy staple would you absolutely not be without? Post a comment and share your must-haves!
Visit my website for more info and great recipes.